Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Antique Plate Collage Wall Art


 Inspiration Photo Series

Ever get inspired by a photo? I always do! I see images of art work, decor, jewelry, recipes, etc. in magazines, Pinterest, and in person. Seeing these creative displays inspires me to push myself to design my own version of it. My goal is never to replicate the inspiration, but to use the ideas or techniques and make it my own.




I began an antique plate collection many years ago as a young teenager when I came upon a few of my grandmother's plates. She was a lover of tradition, elegance and class. She collected serving plates, platters, saucers and simple decorative plates that were displayed modestly in her home.
As a teenager, I had a tastefully decorated bedroom with a few of these plates adorning the walls. No posters of N'Sync or Backstreet Boys hanging from my walls!
After college, I finally got a grown up apartment and wanted to decorate it as such. I had my grandmother's plates tucked away somewhere safe. I came across an inspiration photo of a antique plate collage wall art in a magazine. I instantly knew that this would be the perfect way to display my grandmother's plates. I ripped out the page and went to work! I didn't have enough plates so I began a search to find the perfect additions. I found some lovely plates at Anthropologie and I collected a few more here and there. When I had enough, I began my design.
Can you tell which ones are antique and which ones are new?
I gathered all of the materials including nails, plate hangers of all sizes, a hammer and paper. I used the paper to make a template on the wall to know where the plates would look best. After moving a few plates around, I finished my wall art!
I loved my antique plate collage so much that I redid it in my new home. I tweaked the design a bit after receiving some great additions to my collection. 


Get some inspiration from these Pinterest photos of plate wall art!
 




Here's another look at my antique plates wall art displayed in my breakfast area of my kitchen.


See something you like? You can make it yourself! Always believe that you can do it. It may take a few tries, but don't give up. You'll figure it out and get better along the way. I'll help you! Just ask me for help and we'll brainstorm ideas together. 

Best of luck with your creative inspiration!

Randee

3 comments:

  1. Randee where do you get your plate holders from? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got these several years ago. I think they were from walmart. Amazon is sure to have a wide selection.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete