Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Lemon Wreath

Lemon Wreath Tutorial

I finally did it! By it, I mean I finally found time to create the lemon wreath that I've been procrastinating about all summer. It's still summer, right? Good. Then, I'm not too late to have the lemon wreathes hanging on my front door! Time to quit looking at all the plastic lemons hanging around my house. Let's get down to business!






Materials:


5 large artificial lemons
10 small artificial lemons-textured
10 small artificial lemons-smooth 
1 15.5" grapevine wreath
1 stem artificial greenery
4' burlap ribbon

6-8" green floral wire
hot glue
wire cutters
scissors

I purchased most of the materials from Michael's and Amazon. I bought the ribbon on clearance (oh, yeah!) at Michael's along with the greenery and large lemons. The small lemons are from Amazon and the remaining items were materials I already had at home. I provided links to most of the items, but I wasn't able to find the link to the greenery. Sorry!

Directions:

Part 1: Lemons & Greenery

 1. Using the wire cutters, cut the greenery into segments leaving 1-2" of stem. Set aside.


Don't waste that stem! This would be great to spray paint and cover in glitter for Christmas!



2. Get ready for the lemons! Lay the large lemons out to plan their location before the glue. Leave a space wide enough for the bow.



3. Place the hot glue on the entire length of the lemon and stick! Repeat for all 5 large lemons.



4. Grab the greenery! Place hot glue on the entire length of the stem.



5. Angle the stem down and insert into grapevine wreath on the side of the lemon. 


 

6. Insert greenery on opposite side of the lemon.


 7. Repeat steps 5 & 6 with all lemons.



8. Lay out about half of the small textured lemons in the empty spaces and the others next to the large lemons to see what looks best. Then, glue!



9. Insert the greenery on either side of the small lemons adding more to empty spaces.



10. Repeat step 8 with the small smooth lemons making sure to continue leaving an open space for the bow.



11. Cut the remaining greenery in to small pieces.



12. Insert the remaining greenery throughout the wreath filling in any empty spaces.



Part 2: The Bow

1. Unroll the entire spool of ribbon and cut in half. This roll was 8' so I had 4' of ribbon to use for one bow since I was making two wreaths. If not making two ribbons, cut 4' of ribbon off of your spool.


2. Gather and pinch the ribbon about 1' from the edge. 



 3. Twist the long end of the ribbon to the opposite side. 


4. Flip the long end of the ribbon over to make a small loop. 



5. Gather the ribbon and pinch in the center with the same hand. Can you hold all of this? Yes, you can! Keep going. There's more!


6. The underside of the ribbon will be showing this point. Twist the long end of the ribbon to the top side.



7. With the long end of the ribbon, make a loop slightly bigger than the center loop. Gather and pinch in the middle. 



8. Make a loop on the opposite side. Gather and pinch in the middle. Are your hands cramping yet? Twist the remaining ribbon to the top side.



9. Place the wire through the center loop.



10. Twist the wire tightly to secure the bow. You may need a pair of pliers to get a tight squeeze if you have thick ribbon.



11. Insert the two wire ends of the bow in the empty space on the front of the wreath.



12. Flip the wreath carefully and find the two wire ends. Pull tightly!



13. Twist the wire tightly.



 14. Tuck the wire end into the wreath.



15. Flip the wreath to the front and fluff the bow. Trim the ribbon at an angle. Make your ribbon lengths symmetrical if you'd like....I like asymmetry. 



You're done!


 Make two wreaths if you have double doors like me!



See that dangling little lemon on the top left? I didn't notice it until after I took the pictures. Be sure to glue your lemons better than I did. Hey, I never said I was perfect! 










No comments:

Post a Comment